++ current position
Martin Kaltenbrunner is Professor at the Interface Culture Lab, University of Art and Industrial Design in Linz. His research concentrates on tangible user interfaces and the development of novel human computer interaction concepts within open tools for creative production. As co-founder of Reactable Systems he had been mainly working on the interaction design of the Reactable - an electronic musical instrument with a tangible user interface. He is author of the open source tangible interaction framework reacTIVision and the related TUIO protocol, which have been widely adopted for the realization of tangible tabletop applications.
++ work experience & education
- since 2011: Full Professor at the Interface Culture Lab, University of Art and Industrial Design in Linz.
- 2010-2011: Professor for Interface Culture at the University of Art and Industrial Design in Linz, appointed to act for Prof. Sommerer & Prof. Mignonneau.
- 2009: co-founder of Reactable Systems SL, dedicated to the development of novel HCI concepts and products
- 2000-2009: researcher (Music Technology Group) and lecturer at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona
- 2004-2009: lecturer at the Kunstuniversität Linz, within the Interface Culture Lab
- 2007-2009: lecturer at the School of Arts, UCP Porto, within the Master for Sound and Image
- 2003/2004: MIT Media Lab Europe, Dublin: visiting researcher Palpable Machines Group
- 2000-2002: Doctoral Programme in Computer Science and Digital Communication. Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona
- 1999/2000: research internship at the Centre for Electronic Arts, Middlesex University, London
- 1996-2000: Media Technology & Design, Upper Austria University of Applied Sciences, Campus Hagenberg.
- 1994-1998: freelance project consulting, web-design, system-administration, IT-trainer, journalist: European Centre, Austrian Press Agency, Austrian Student Association, Österreichische Rechtsdatenbank, Bohinc & Guth, Agentur kado, AppleTime
- 1990-1994: University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna: Landscape Design & Planning
- 2002: Diploma of Advanced Studies (DEA), Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain.
- 2000: Graduated with highest distinction, Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Media Technology & Design, Upper Austria University of Applied Sciences, Campus Hagenberg, Austria.
- 1990: Matura (Abitur, A-Level), Öffentliches Stiftsgymnasium, Kremsmünster, Austria
- Prix Ars Electronica 2008 Golden Nica in the category "Digital Musics" for the reacTable
- two D&AD yellow pencil awards in the categories Digital Installations and Environmental Design/Installations for the reacTable in London 2008
- Cuitat Barcelona Award 2007 in the category "Multimedia" for the reactable and its contribution towards the international projection of Barcelona in the arts.
- Hot Instrument 2007 for the reactable published in the Rolling Stone Magazine Hot Issue 2007
- Kaltenbrunner, M. "reacTIVision and TUIO: A Tangible Tabletop Toolkit", Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces (ITS2009). Banff, Canada. [PDF]
- Kaltenbrunner, M. "Gegenständliche Musikalische Interaktion", Proceedings des 2. Workshops für Innovative Computerbasierte Musikinterfaces (ICMI2009). Berlin, Germany. [PDF]
- Kaltenbrunner, M. & Bencina, R. "reacTIVision: A Computer-Vision Framework for Table-Based Tangible Interaction", Proceedings of the first international conference on "Tangible and Embedded Interaction (TEI07). Baton Rouge, Louisiana. [PDF]
- Jordà, S. & Geiger, G. & Alonso, A. & Kaltenbrunner, M. "The reacTable: Exploring the Synergy between Live Music Performance and Tabletop Tangible Interfaces", Proceedings of the first international conference on "Tangible and Embedded Interaction (TEI07). Baton Rouge, Louisiana. [PDF]
- Kaltenbrunner, M. & Jordà, S. & Geiger, G. & Alonso, A. "The reacTable: A Collaborative Musical Instrument", Proceedings of the Workshop on "Tangible Interaction in Collaborative Environments (TICE), at the 15th International IEEE Workshops on Enabling Technologies (WETICE 2006). Manchester, U.K. [PDF]
- Bencina, R. & Kaltenbrunner, M. "The Design and Evolution of Fiducials for the reacTIVision System", Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Generative Systems in the Electronic Arts (3rd Iteration 2005), Melbourne (Australia) [PDF]
- Kaltenbrunner, M. "Interactive Music for Mobile Digital Music Players", Inspirational Idea for the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC2005), Barcelona (Spain) [PDF]
- Jordà, S. & Kaltenbrunner, M. & Geiger, G. & Bencina, R. "The reacTable", Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC2005), Barcelona (Spain) [PDF]
- Bencina, R. & Kaltenbrunner, M. & Jordà, S. "Improved Topological Fiducial Tracking in the reacTIVision System", Proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Projector-Camera Systems (Procams 2005), San Diego (USA) [PDF]
- Kaltenbrunner, M. & Bovermann, T. & Bencina, R. & Costanza, E. "TUIO - A Protocol for Table-Top Tangible User Interfaces", Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Gesture in Human-Computer Interaction and Simulation (GW 2005), Vannes (France) [PDF]
- Kaltenbrunner, M. & Geiger, G. & Jorda, S. "Dynamic Patches for Live Musical Performance", Proceedings of the 4th Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME 04), Hamamatsu (Japan) [PDF]
- Kaltenbrunner, M. & O'Modhrain, S. & Costanza, E. "Object Design Considerations for Tangible Musical Interfaces", Proceedings of the AISB 2004 COST287-ConGAS Symposium on Gesture Interfaces for Multimedia Systems, Leeds (UK) [PDF]
- Barbosa, A. & Kaltenbrunner, M. & Geiger, G. "Interface Decoupled Applications for Geographically Displaced Collaboration in Music", Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference, Singapore [PDF]
- Kaltenbrunner, M. "Y-Windows: Proposal for a Standard AUI Environment", Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Auditory Display 2002, Kyoto (Japan) [PDF]
- Barbosa, A. & Kaltenbrunner, M. "Public Sound Objects: A Shared Musical Space on the Web", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Web Delivering of Music 2002, Darmstadt (Germany) [PDF]
- Cano, P. & Kaltenbrunner, M. & Gouyon, F. & Battle, E. "On the Use of Fastmap for Audio Retrieval and Browsing", Proceedings of the International Symposium on Music Information Retrieval 2002, Paris (France) [PDF]
- Kaltenbrunner, M. & Huxor, A. "Marvin: Supporting Awareness through Audio in Collaborative Virtual Environments", In: Earnshaw, R. & Vince, J. (eds.) "Digital Content Creation" p. 294ff, Springer Verlag, Hamburg 2001 [PDF]
- Cano, P. & Kaltenbrunner, M. & Mayor, O. & Batlle, E. "Statistical Significance in Song-Spotting in Audio", Proceedings of the International Symposium on Music Information Retrieval 2001. Bloomington, Indiana (USA) [PDF]
- Kaltenbrunner, M. & Huxor, A. "Multiple Presence through Auditory Bots in Virtual Environments", Proceedings of PRESENCE 2000, 3rd International Workshop on Presence, Delft (Netherlands) [PDF]
- Kaltenbrunner, M. "Auditory User Interfaces for Desktop, Mobile and Embedded Applications", Diploma Thesis, FH Hagenberg (Austria) [PDF]
tangible user interfaces
- lecture & workshop
for the Interface Culture master class at the
Kunstuniversität, Linz (2005 - present)
- workshop for the
sound & image course at the
school of arts, Porto (2007 - present)
- labs for the Interactive Systems I (TSI1) course at the
Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona (2006 - 2008)
- workshop for the Medialogy course at the
Aalborg University, Copenhagen (2005)
- reacTable hands-on workshop at STEIM, Amsterdam (2006)
auditory user interfaces
- lecture & labs for Interactive Systems II at the
Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona (2004-2005)
- lecture & workshop for the
Interface Culture course at the Kunstuniversität Linz (2005)
- workshop on Mobile Auditory Games for the
Medialogy course at the
Aalborg University, Copenhagen (2005)
object oriented programming
- java labs for the Programming III course at the
Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona (2001 - 2003)
++ experience and skills
- research and development
with a focus on academic research, open source project management, european union networks
- teaching and workshops
teaching university level courses on human-computer-interaction and related topics at various european universities
organization of workshops, exhibitions and panel discussions in the context of media art and research.
- publications, talks, exhibtions and performances
experience in the context of scientific publications and conferences,
participation in major art exhibitions and festivals, including live performances.
- programming languages & operating systems
Java, C++, C# - Linux, MacOS, Win32
- spoken languages:
deutsch (native), english (fluent), español (fluent), français (basic)
++ selected press coverage
- Der Spiegel (Germany): Der magische Tisch
- WEAVE Magazin (Germany): Zukunftsmusik
- Neue Musikzeitung (Germany): Neues Instrument macht elektronische Musik in Echtzeit
- Der Standard - Rondo (Austria): Die neue Hausmusik
- WIRED (USA): ReacTable Tactile Synth Catches Björk's Eye -- and Ear
- ascii24 (Japan): A new instrument with a sense of touch
- Sound & Recording (Japan) Special Report: reactable
- adn.es (Spain): La reactable gana el Oscar del arte electronico
- Folha de Sao Paulo (Brazil): Eletro Show
- El Mercurio (Chile) El nuevo juguete de la emperatriz Björk
++ performances and invited talks
- reactable concert at the Big Brother Awards Gala, Vienna (AT), October 25th
- panel discussion on "technology as sensual experience at Neu Marx, Vienna (AT), October 23rd
- talk on "tangible music" at TEDxVienna, Vienna (AT) October 22nd
- talk on "tangible interaction" at the 3D Forum, Lindlar (DE) October 20th
- concert together with thereminist Guenther Gessert at the Waves Festival, Vienna (AT), October 1st
- reactable workshop together with Peter Kirn at Dubspot, New York (US), September 20th
- guest lecture on "tangible musical interfaces" at the Parsons School for Design, New York (US), September 19th
- concert together with Peter Kirn at the Moving Sounds Festival, New York (US), September 18th
- panel discussion on "improvisation in music" at the Austrian Cultural Forum, New York (US), September 17th
- live TV discussion on unuselessness - the useful useless on dorf.tv, Linz (AT), September 9th
- seminar on the topic of tangible musical interfaces at UCP, Porto (PT), June 4th
- talk on "tangible music" at the interACTion NOW Festival, Stuttgart (DE) May 18th
- concert with the L2Ork - Virginia Tech Laptop Orchestra at the Stadtwerkstatt, Linz (AT), May 14th
- live TV discussion about the Open Commons Region Linz on dorf.tv, Linz (AT), May 11th
- guest lecture on "tangible musical interfaces" at the Bruckner University, Linz (AT), April 5th
- tutor at the TEI Graduate Student Consortium, Madeira (PT), January 23rd
- reactable concert and presentation at the KAPU, Linz (AT), December 17th
- panel discussion on "digitalization and aestetical transformation" at the MICA, Vienna (AT), December 3rd
- guest lecture on tangible interfaces at FH Joanneum Media & Interaction Design, Graz (AT), November 19th
- talk on the topic of tangible musical interfaces at EarZoom festival, Ljubljana (SI), October 3rd
- seminar on the topic of tangible musical interfaces at UCP, Porto (PT), June 12th
- seminar on the topic of tangible musical interfaces at the Digital Media Group, Bremen (DE), March 25th
- keynote on tangible musical interfaces at the ICMI workshop, Berlin (DE), September 7th
- talk on tangible interface toolkits for dorkbot #9 at the metalab, Vienna (AT), June 28th
- lecture at Digital Media, Upper Austria University of Applied Sciences, Hagenberg (AT), November 25
- lecture at the Department of Interaction Design at the Tama Art University, Tokyo (JP), November 7
- lecture and workshop at the Department of Media Art at the Tokyo Polytechnic University, Tokyo (JP), November 4
- panelist on media art and new production at YCAM 5th anniversary symposium, Yamaguchi (JP), November 2
- reacTable talk, presentation and concert at the Ars Electronica Festival, Linz (AT), September 5-9
- reacTable presentation at the CCCB, "music & science" at the BCNmp7 festival, Barcelona (ES), May 9
- reacTable concert with thereminist Dorit Chrysler at the Auditori at the digressions festival, Barcelona (ES), Apr 6
- reacTable talk at INESC, Porto (PT), Dec 14
- podium discussion on multi-touch interaction at SOCO, Amsterdam (NL), Nov 30
- talk and reacTIVision workshop at the Piksel Festival, Bergen (NO), Nov 15-18
- reacTable exhibition inauguration at CosmoCaixa, Madrid (ES), Oct 17
- talk and reacTable exhibition at the OneDotZero Festival, Buenos Aires (AR), Sep 28-30
- reacTable presentation and performance at the Noche en Blanco, Madrid (ES), Sep 22
- talk and reacTable exhibition and performance at the FILE Festival, Sao Paulo (BR), Aug 13-17
- reacTable exhibition at the hangar, Barcelona (ES), June 24
- reacTable exhibition and concert at the Auditori Festa de la Musica, Barcelona (ES), June 21
- talk, exhibition and reacTable performance The Creators Series, New York (USA), June 08-10
- workshop and reacTable concert at the festival citta sonore, Rome (IT), April 14
- reacTable concert at the rokolectiv festival, Bucarest (RO), March 25
- workshop and reacTable concert at the Etichetta Discografica, Terni (IT), March 24
- reacTable performance and exhibtion at the Optronica Festival, London (UK), March 16-17
- workshop on tangible musical interfaces, reacTable and reacTIVision at Hangar, Barcelona (ES), March 06-07
- session chair at the 1st conference on Tangible and Embedded Interaction, Baton Rouge (USA), February 16
- reactable concerts and exhibition at the transmediale festival Maria am Ostbahnhof, M12 & Transmediale Lounge, Berlin (DE), February 01-04
- reactable concert at La Sala (C) Castello, Barcelona (ES), January 24
- reacTable event, at quartier21, Vienna (AT), December 2nd
- reacTable workshop & concert, at STEIM, Amsterdam (NL), November 1st
- reacTable concert together with EnsAmbleCrumble at the Galeria Metronom, Barcelona (ES), July 26th
- reacTable presentation & concert at the Sonar Festival, Barcelona (ES), June 17th
- reacTable concert at the ZKM Kubus during the Linux Audio Conference LAC 2006, Karlsruhe (DE), April 29th
- panel chair on tangible musical interfaces at the ICMC, Barcelona (ES), September 8th
- reacTable concert at the Ars Electronica Festival, Linz (AT), September 5th
- Interface Culture Workshop at the Mensch&Computer Conference, Linz (AT), September 5th
++ current projects
a protocol for table-top tangible user interfaces.
an optical fiducial marker tracking system for the creation of table-top tangible user interfaces.
a novel electronic music instrument with a tangible user interface.
a virtual Theremin for the Kinect controller.
++ older projects
Pure Data (PD) interface for the iPod, interactive music for digital music players (2005).
A cross-platform framework that provides uniform access to camera devices for video processing (2005).
the public sound object
a shared musical space on the web (2003).
the iglasses developer page
a great resource for developers around the popular HMD.
featuring my java driver for the iglasses' head tracking unit (1997).
a virtual reality environment using stereoscopic panorama photographs and speech technology (1999).
the marvin awareness robot
a simple programmable agent, which can enter multiple information servers as a proxy and report noteworthy events via speech and audio to the user (2000).
the talking web
an interactive online project allowing speech synthesis via the web (1997).
a last landscape architecture study seminar and its online documentation from the early days of the web (1995).